Sunday, November 18, 2007

Sparse is Beautiful

It's a strange feeling to be surrounded by advertising encouraging us to buy more, and the call to beautify our homes through sparsity; uncrowded shelves with one to three trinkets lounging leasurely in living rooms, kitchen countertops with only the barest of necessities to block the granite view. But what do we DO with all the stuff we unclutter our lives with?

One good, but difficult task is to find a good home for it. I am constantly amazed at the women who ask me if I need ___, and it turns out to be exactly what I need at the moment I need it. Maybe it's a gift. Maybe it's the Holy Spirit guiding them to bless me, but my home is filled with adopted items from someone else's home. I haven't had too much luck finding homes for the things I need to part with, so I usually let the trained professionals deal with distribution--Good Will.

No comments: