Monday, November 19, 2007

I'm dreaming of a Green Christmas

We're in the market for a new Christmas Tree solution. The last two Christmas trees we had were given to us by parents who had gotten them second hand already. We used each of them several years and by the end I almost believed they were real trees because they were shedding needles all over the living room carpet. I chose to feel good about getting that many years out of an artificial tree and about all the real trees saved along the way, and decided not to dwell on the fact that it still had to go to the garbage dump eventually.

Now I'm wondering if there is a greener solution. Real trees can be burned, so that's good as long as they're from a source that isn't taking away from the trees we need to keep around. Artificial trees avoid using a real tree which takes time to grow and, as we see from our family, can be used for 10 years or more. I could get another used tree from our friends at Good Will. Hmmm.

Then there's the lighting situation. Strings of lights that are awkward to put new bulbs in aren't very practical, and almost demand that you buy new sets each year. But how else can you light your tree and home for Christmas? I've seen trees with crystals on them. I wonder if a spotlight with a pretty bulb in it would make the tree glisten nicely. I have two sets of glass icicles that sparkle in the light. For around the house, I could use candles this year instead of lights. Many musings. Now the challenging question, "Am I willing to change and sacrifice the comforting sameness of the classic white lights at Christmas?" We will have to see...

No comments: